Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Alan November

I enjoyed Alan November's presentation last Friday. He made great arguments for incorporating more technology into our curriculum. I was surprised that there was so much push back. This is what kids are doing. We just finished a survey of the 9th grade families. When we asked the about their kid's screen time 35.7% of the parents thought their kid was spending 1 - 2 hours a day on video games, computers, cell phones and PDA's. Another 40 % say the kids are spending more time. I don't think their parents are totally aware of the amount of time spent. I would probably double their estimates. Who knows how much of thsi time is spent doing school work? What I do know is if we don't assign work taht reqires screen time, little to none of their time on the computer will be spent on schoolwork.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent point! I do agree with many of our "non-believers" who say that kids still need face-to-face time. However, technology can enhance the little face-to-face time that we are given. Students go home and just sit on the computer looking for stuff to do - wouldn't it be great if they use the tools that they use out of boredom (youtube, twitter, blogs) for educational purposes and to build community in the classroom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since younger kids are becoming more familiar with technology and how to use it efficiently at an earlier age they will probably come to junior high and high school expecting to use it more. My 2 1/2 year old daughter is learning to use technology at home and by the time she is 6 years old she will know how to do some things that I didn't even learn until my 30s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacey: How do we motivate teachers to add technology to their curriculum? Especially in the HS? One of the things I feel strongly about is all of us (the adults) need to model being a life long learner. I know that time and making sure activities are meaningful are issues. I'd love to talk with you about this. Kathy

    ReplyDelete